During pregnancy, hunger can strike at any moment (with or without warning).
In fact, we’re guessing that by now, you’re familiar with this scenario: One minute you’re fine; the next minute, you’re sitting at your desk starting at an empty candy wrapper wondering how that got there.
The solution to combating sneaky wrappers is this: always be prepared. Stash healthy options in your purse, at your desk and in the car. To get you started, we put together a list of our favorite snacks for pregnancy. These options are packed with nutrition, so you don’t pack on extra pounds.
- LARABAR Cherry Pie – With only 3 ingredients — unsweetened cherries, dates and almonds — this tasty little bar packs in 4 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein and ¼ cup of fruit! Did we mention it’s yummy, tart, and all-around deliciousness in a wrapper – with a cherry on top?!
- Trail Mix – Grab a Ziploc, throw in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, dried cranberries, dark chocolate and viola! High in Omega 3s, Vitamin E, Magnesium and Copper, this snack is the perfect combination to satisfy your sweet (and salty) tooth.
- Baby Carrots + Hummus – Crisp, high fiber carrots combined with protein-and-iron-packed hummus is a simple yet satisfying snack.
- Plain, Fat Free Greek Yogurt + Fresh Berries – Add your own berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries) to avoid the added sugars of yogurts that contain fruit already. This take-anywhere snack is high in protein (18 grams) and filled with fiber and Vitamin C.
- Low-fat String Cheese + Almonds – Full of calcium, protein and healthy fats, this snack is always a crowd pleaser…in fact, you may want to pack extra.
- Popcorn – When prepared with just the right ingredients, popcorn is low in calories, heart-smart, and surprisingly chock-full of healthy nutrients. And, since it’s 100% whole grain, popcorn is also a great source of fiber -- you get 5 grams in a 4-cup portion. That's pretty darn impressive for a snack food.